bay area community exchange blog
Bay Area Community Exchange Timebank
The Timebank is a free online directory that covers the entire bay area. It's an open source accounting system that encourages community self-help by facilitating exchanges of services and goods.
For every hour you spend doing something for someone in your community, you earn one hour to give to someone to do something for you. The currency is time and everyone's time is equal.
How to get started
Sign up or log into your free BACE Timebank account: timebank.sfbace.org
Complete your profile.
Upload a profile picture.
Select the categories you are most interested in.
This is the place to describe your interest, needs, experience and skills.
Who and where you are.
How to get in contact with you.
Feel free to edit your profile any time.
Now it's time to check out the Directory
It's made up of categories
Each line contains offers, request and providers
Click on providers to see a list of everyone in that category or use the keyword search function to search the entire directory and member profiles for specific skills.
- What are groups?
- A group on the Timebank is when individuals join together to form a group page.
- This is a great way for folks who want to exchange with each other to connect.
- It can be made up of individuals, an existing organization or a combination.
- The coolest thing about groups
- The Forums are a great way to connect with everyone in your group.
- Add information that group members need to start exchanging.
- The group pages have lots more features that are coming soon.
How to make a Timebank Exchange
Timebank exchanges work with request and offers.
A request is when you need a service, or good.
An offer is when you have a service, or good you want to share.
Example 1. You need help moving a sofa.
Option - Create a request asking for help with the amount of time it should take and date it needs to be done by.
Example 2. You want to start a garden.
Option – Create a request for a local green thumb.
Example 3. You have extra pumpkins from your garden.
Option - Create an offer with an hour value for your goods.
Example 4. You can help organize a cluttered room.
Option - Create an offer with an estimate of the time it will take to complete.
You can also use the timebank by searching the directory and profiles with the keyword search function and contact members directly to see if they have something to exchange.
You can talk to people in person or gather at a community event and agree to give credit through the timebank.
After the exchange the person who received the service, or goods transfers the agreed upon number of hours to the person who shared the service, or goods.
Go to the Profile Page of the person you want to transfer hours to.
Under the profile picture, click on "Give Credit" and send some words of thanks..
- Read more at the BACE Blog!
- General meetings are 2nd Wednesdays at 8pm. Come early at 7:30pm to learn more about the Timebank.
Location: Noisebridge in SF on odd months (e.g. May, July, Sept),
Sudo Room in Oakland on even months (e.g. April, June, Aug).
- Calendar of Events
- Signup for the timebank and you'll automatically receive our newsletter.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how to get involved as a volunteer, intern, donor or partner organization.
- Join our email listserve to participate in the internal workings of the timebank.
- Join our Facebook Group!
- Support your Timebank — keep it sustainable, growing and improving!